Sunday, November 20, 2011

Data Mining vs. Piracy

Browser Beware: Washington Weighs Online Consumer Privacy by Stephen Gray

Since 2007, Sears was encouraging consumers to download a software that according to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) was asking them to keep a journal of their shopping habits and purchasing behavior. The software was allowing companies to review customers' bank accounts, library loans, pharmacy prescriptions, as well as access to their email accounts and text messages. Many of these consumers were not aware of the invasion of privacy since they did not read the fine print on the bottom of the page. Last June, the FTC ordered Sears to destroy all data acquired. If you want to read more about this case and many others click on the link below:

2 comments:

  1. That is why I don't shop on the internet and try to use the internet as little as possible. This can not be regulated. How will the FTC know weather Sears desrtoyed the data or not? This also brings forth a debate that has gone on in Amercia for almost 100 years should the government regulate things like this or should we be responsible for our own actions?

    I contend we should be responsible for our own actions. Because when we depend on government to take care of us through regulations two things happen 1) Government fails and does nothing but cost businesses more money and makes nothing safer. 2) We loose our sense of personal responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy, but I hate to say this it is still the people's fault who signed up for it. I have learned that it is very important to thoroughly read terms of agreements and small prints. The only downside of this, is that it would seem you need to have formal legal training to decipher the agreements. With that being said that seems to become a question of ethics

    @ Wkutley, I have felt the same way about shopping online. One thing I have realized that is that your looking at shopping of the future, which will become unavoidable. Sooner or Later you will have to give in so I would just learn how to shop safely, for (if and when it becomes the only option.

    ReplyDelete